Sunday, August 9, 2009

Love at first sight?

“Hi! I am Abhay. I didn’t get your name.”

“Hello! You are looking very beautiful in this blue dress, it suits you. By the way, I am Abhay.”

“Hi! I am sorry but I couldn’t stop admiring you from afar and so thought it would be proper if I introduced myself.”

These were some of the self-introductory lines that crossed my mind when I looked at you for the first time. Let me make myself clear, I do NOT believe in love at first sight and anyhow, a classroom filled with 50-60 people is hardly the right place to fall in love, but there is something in you that has been attracting me from the moment I saw you.

Initially I thought that this is because you are very beautiful (a rarity in my college). But my friends (the people you’ll see sitting beside me if you turn your head) have made it pretty clear that they don’t consider you beautiful, let alone the “very” part. Some said you are kind-of cute and a few of them – the more outspoken ones – told me to get my eyes checked and now they are making fun of me. But somehow, I can’t help staring at you, although – sitting at the last bench – I can only see a part of your face.

You seem intent on copying down each and everything that the prof is saying. You won’t even be aware that some guy on the last bench has been staring at you continuously for the last half an hour or so. I, on the other hand, have not written a single word since I started looking at you. I hope I’ll be able to gather enough courage till the end of the class to ask you your name.

And now, you are looking at me and I feel happy - I try to smile. But something’s wrong – the whole class is looking at me!! Seems the prof has asked me a question and I have no clue what it is… I can hear someone sniggering. Thankfully, one of my friends seems to have been following the prof. He is whispering the answer now and I am repeating it out aloud. My mind meanwhile is buzzing with the questions, “Did she or anyone else notice that I was staring at her? Is this why the prof asked me this question? Did he comment something too that I missed?”

Now my friend has stopped whispering, it seems the answer is complete. Thanks a lot man, I owe you one! Even the prof seems satisfied. Now you have turned towards the blackboard again and I can go back to staring at you.

But what is this! You are packing up!! Has the bell gone? Everyone else is also packing up, seems 1 hour is over already. Funny how this same prof used to be able to bore me to death in 1 hour till last sem and now I am hoping that we had a double lecture!!

You pick up your stuff and leave in a hurry – I presume you have another class somewhere else – and so my hopes of getting to talk to you after the class are dashed. Anyways, this was only the first class, I’ll be sure to attend all the classes of this course. I’ll also try to sit on the first bench so that we might get talking once your tempo of noting down everything wears off.

If, at some point in time, you read this and recognize yourself, just give me a call. My no is +919932574151.

-- The guy in a black Mind-Over-Matter t-shirt and faded black jeans sitting at the back of the class.

16 comments:

Dibyendu said...

A brilliant description of those countlless hopeless back-benchers whose only respite from the daily crap is to stare at some girl in the front bench and many a times fall in love with her.
Well at this point of time I cud be sure of two things..
1) This guy Abhay(whoever he is) will be able to talk to that girl regularly but wud never b able to express love.
2) The girl wud surely have noticed but wud never in her life mention it to Abhay. :)

somalchemist said...

Whoaa.......boy....!!
good write up.....
by the way....u say u dont believe in "love at first sight"..then wht is this....??
wht i wud say is.....if u really like someone.....go n express urself.....n whts the fun if u love someone n were not able to tell her tht she is loved....coz girls dont usually like to take the first step forward.....[:P]
so waiting for the next time a very bad idea.....

vivek's....... said...

zabardast.... she sure would love to read this post.next time u c the girl, go for her.

Anonymous said...

abe aisi koi bhi to nahi hai class mein, kuch bhi funda diye hue hai tu
:P

Unknown said...

sale tu kiske liye likha hai wo to hume pta hai he .. n tera adha kaam to maine kar he diya hai.. ab sale baki ka adama kaam tu khud nahi kr sakta hai to duub mar jake kahin .. waise bhi uske deewano ki kami nahi hai kahin

Dead_Man said...

@myth: abe ye tere ko pata hai,mere ko pata hai but baaki junta ise sach maan rahi hai to mera kya jata hai. :)

@vikash: u r partly right but mostly wrong dude.

Unknown said...

hey abhay!!!!i quite liked this one.it actually took me back to my school days u know.i wish i could publicly take the names of the guys who used to do the same in 11/c and 12/c..he he :)i could almost relive those moments while reading this write-up.

jaadu said...

hmm .. saale tu accha likhne laga hai .. may be its time to write at least a short story of a few pages !! ... keep on writing and i am sure one day we will read your famous novel :P

aur Dib chod ab ahbhay ko .. tu to jaanta hi hai saale ko :D ..

Payel so you are being nostalgic of those moments :P .. hahahahaha ..

KG said...

kabhi to topic change kar mere bhai....aur itna lamba mat likha kar...fir bhi gud wrk

aindrila said...

Is it truly about someone?
But very well written...I can perhaps copy paste the same thing for us when we were in college since u must be knowing by now that our female to male ratio was almost as bad as ur male to female ratio or probably even worse ;-)

Sukadeb Acharya said...

abe yaar Kuch shocking news bhi dene hain ab tujhe
Last friday night Me and Rashmit saw this girl returning from Park at night around 11 pm and she was quite drunk. She was with a guy called Rohit Mohapatra of ECE our batch and passed out this time and was here for the convocation. So go ahead at your won risk :) .

Dead_Man said...

@payel: do i need to say sumthing? :P waise thnx 4 appreciating my effort

@andy: no,this isn't about any1 in particular but i can assure u k mere coll me zyada bura ratio hai

@suku: DUDE!! i dont hv any clue regarding who the hell u r talking about?? :O

Vikram said...

Koi is bichare se pyaar kar lo ... is k .. write up ka topic toh change ho jaega ...

acha toh tu likhta hi hai ... air tarif kya kare ....

Saket Ranjan said...

i read ur post and all the comments too and i will agree with dibyendu. can't put it in any better words. also ain't it that the girls also like this kind of attention?? just a thought.
keep writing!!!

xxayisjeeves said...

Ahem!!
Double that!

Kaun hai bhai? Aewee luv-shuv ki baatein to hum bhi nahi likhte .. koi yaad aaye tabhi likhte hai :)

Your skill with words is, as I have professed many a time before, nonpareil.

Waise aapke creations ka theme kyun nahi change hota ye shaayad main samajh sakta hoon .. aap bhi kavi ban jaaiiye, sukoon milegi :P

aquarian said...

wow...........bhaia. gr8, u r sayng dat....thr s so such gal,but witht feelng, u hav described it quit well.
n well... i knw u,if u wud lik sum1 u wud start talkng to her..dis s 4 sure.but u'll never express ur real felng.

gr8 job